Miracle Recovery from a Fatal Road Accident - a Testimony

The best incident which ever happened in my life. Please spend some time to read this…
Im Living by HIS Grace.. rather, I’d say by His Love(on the Cross). On 27th feb,2010 around 6 p.m. I was riding alone, back home on a bike near a village called gudipala….(when i was living my life the way i liked, i was someone who would do whatever I think cud make me happy, i was someone who wouldn’t think of an option, that s if i want to do something i’ll definitely end up doing it ..Yea even i knew God but was not close to Him, dint follow His ways, moreover din have time for Him, was busy with d world. Maybe I was thinking I could get pleasure, joy, happiness, comfort, peace n ‘Everything’ only from this world. So i din want to turn to God n lose my happiness, thats what i thought, so i chose to be a sinner). A car hit me head-on…at a speed say around 130 kmph(thats hw it was reported)… obviously I was knocked off my bike. As I mentioned earlier, I was alone, this happened maybe 10 kms away from home( in the neighboring state). None to help me. 
The damaged bike (left), Alphy in Govt. Hospital (right) - picture by a local newspaper in Andra Pradesh
The police came to d spot n checked my belongings 2 c whether they cud get any clue of my identity…. On that day ai had taken my uncle’s mob, as i had given mine for repair. Im mentioning dis coz, if I had taken my mob, which is security locked n my sim also locked with d pin number. The police wouldn’t have been able 2 trace my identity r even covey d message 2 my parents. Im not saying it was luck , it was God’s own way 2 help me. That police man cald 2 a few on my contacts list. My friends were d first to come the spot…. they thought it was a minor accident but after seeing the condition of the car they panicked... The people standing there told my friends that they have taken me to the nearby government hospital; when they arrived there, they saw me on the floor rolled up in a mat. I was unconscious, my face covered with blood, bleeding with injuries all over my body and the doctors there told my friends that my condition is very critical and immediately they need to take me to the government hospital in chittoor (state of Andhra Pradesh) which is located 30 kms from vellore (my home town, located in state of tamil nadu) for better treatment to save me. But God gave my friends wisdom not to take me there but take me to Christian Medical college & Hospital, vellore. At that point of time I was not able to breathe normally, so I was aided by an oxygen cylinder at the government hospital. Now they couldn’t find an ambulance which is supported with the facility of oxygen cylinder for the patient, since it was a village. My friends had come there by bike, making it impossible for them to take me to vellore. my friends were so frustrated in that situation, amidst the spectators was a guy( he is a cab driver, who had come there on duty to drop his customers). He offered a ride to bring me to CMC. He was a total stranger to my friends, yet he stepped forward to help. Then a few problems followed, the hospital had only half a cylinder of oxygen left, that may or may not be sufficient to help me breath till I reach cmc, but my friends hoping that it would be just enough to reach cmc, started to cmc in the cab driver’s car. Car runs on fuel….! Next prob they faced was, car didn’t have enough fuel for the ride. My friends, were in a hurry to get to the accident spot, so they had no money for the fuel. Once again the cab driver came forward to help and he paid the cash for the fuel. After few struggles, the car started its journey to cmc,vellore. it was not an ambulance, so it was without the siren, hence the driver found it difficult to get through the traffic. My friends were riding their bikes in front of the car and were shouting to give way for the car. The driver skillfully drove the car at good pace The car finally reached cmc only around 9:45 p.m. by this time my parents & few of my relatives got the information about my accident and have come to the emergency ward to receive me & my friends. By that time I had a heavy blood loss and was unconscious. They carried me to the emergency ward(the casualty ward), after defeating many struggles they brought me there and to everyone’s astonishment the doctors refused to admit me. They feared that I might die any moment, so they didn’t want to bring trouble on themselves, so they strongly refused to admit me. No one knew the exact reason why they refused and the doctors suggested my parents to take me to Apollo,(Chennai, located at 140 kms from Vellore) without any delay, Cause I was in a critical state. My friends argued with the doctors and pleaded them to admit me because my friends were scared that I might die on the way to Chennai, because I was in a very bad condition and it would take another 3 to 4 hrs to reach Chennai. Now the time was around 10:45 p.m. my relatives in Chennai were informed, and they got ready to receive me at Apollo, meanwhile my friends arranged transport to take me to Apollo. Already in a big shock, not knowing what to do my mom called my grandpa and told him that the doctors are refusing to admit me. He got really scared and called a doctor, who is well known to him and pleaded for help. The doctor stayed inside the hospital premises, and without any hesitation rushed to the emergency ward by 11 p.m, he was a senior doctor, so he was able to admit me and started to examine me. After sometime around 11:30 he called my grandpa to tell that there is no hope that I would survive, and that he didn’t inform this to my parents and everyone waiting outside the emergency ward. My grandpa asked him to tell my parents about my situation. He told my parents that I’d live for another half an hour or maybe maximum 1 hour. He told any minute I’ll die, and asked them to be prepared for my death. Mom couldn’t stop her tears, and some started to discuss regarding where to order my coffin, my funeral date, where to bury and other arrangements for my funeral. I was unconscious My pupils were not reacting, my left eye-ball not in its place, I had wounds all over my body. It was worse on my face and right leg. Severe Blood loss, very low blood pressure, I hardly had any pulse rate. Was breathing by the help of the ventilator. My life was prolonged by a few minutes but still he doctors didn’t have any hope that I’d survive. Then they told they cant be sure of anything for the next 4 hours, still there are chances that I might die, then they said for the next 12 hours then for the next 24 hrs. then they told there is no risk for my life and they moved me to the Surgical ICU by 2:00 a.m. I had been there in the emergency ward for more than 4 hrs. this is how my cmc discharge summary read.
Diagnosis:
RTA(road traffic accident) with,
1. Severe head injury with left sided hemiplegia
2. Subarachnoid hemorrhage
3. Subdural hemorrhage
4. Frontal bone fracture
5. Bilateral lefort fracture
6. Bilateral orbital fracture
7. Mandible fracture
8. Type IIIA open fracture both bones right leg
9. Right little toe proximal phalanx fracture
10. Circumferential amputation and decreased vascularity
11. Right 4th toe proximal phalanx fracture
12. Right 3rd toe proximal phalanx fracture
13. Blunt trauma abdomen

On Examination:
GCS: 2T/15
****** The Glasgow Coma Scale or GCS is a neurological scale that aims to give a reliable, objective way of recording the conscious state of a person for initial as well as subsequent assessment. A patient is assessed against the criteria of the scale, and the resulting points give a patient score between 3 (indicating deep unconsciousness) and either 14 (original scale) or 15 (the more widely used modified or revised scale).
Now look above & check my score………. 2T/15.
Pulse: feeble
BP(blood pressure): Unrecordable
RR(respiratory rate): 24/min
Epistaxis present
Pupils-B/L 2mm and not reacting

Lacerations present over chin, left forehead and eyelid. Multiple abrasions present all over the body. There was a puncture wound over the right leg proximal part. Abnormal mobility and crepitus present over the right leg middle third.
Operations done:
1.He underwent tracheostomy, right leg orif with dcp and k wire fixation of right 3rd and 5th toe under GA.
2. he underwent right 5th toe amputation

Later….Tarsorrhaphy was done for the left eye as he had developed corneal ulcers due to exposure keratitis. The right pupil was reacting to light. He was in SICU and SHDU for 23 days. He has been discharged and shifted to PMR for further care.
I was under the PMR department from 25th march to 6th may,2010. there I was on NG tube, tracheostomy tube and indwelling catheter for some days. earlier My lower jaw was fixed by plastic surgery. I came home and started to live my life for the Lord. I shared this to bring glory to God not to my name. all those who helped me recover…. My parents, friends, relatives, doctors, nurses, technicians, the cab driver, the police man, all those who prayed for me.. You all should be happy that you were used as tools in God’s hands in my recovery. Praise be to GOD alone. He is powerful, yet a loving God. Pray that I’ll live for Him the rest of my life.
- Alphius Godfrey
(This article taken from his facebook post)

Comments

Popular Posts